Fossil Day is Back!
This year we are back with our in-person Fossil Day activities. Join UNSM's paleontologists in a fun-filled day of fossil activities. This event in included with admission. UNSM members get in FREE.
October 16, 2021
Free parking will be available for all visitors in the main lot in front of the museum
This year our team of paleontologists and volunteers will have a variety of fossil activity stations available for visitors ranging from our fossil dig boxes to micro-fossil activities. Activities will be available for children (and adults) of all ages.
Event Health Measures:
- Hands-on stations and activities will be scattered throughout the entire museum to enable increased social distancing
- Hand sanitizer stations are located throughout the museum and near different activity stations.
- In accordance with the Lincoln Lancaster County DHM, masks will be required for all visitors over the age of 2.
UNSM members attending Fossil Day should check in at the membership table (located on the 2nd floor near Elephant Hall) for an extra Fossil Day goodie bag!
The following are a sample selection of stations that will be available for this event.
- Bookmark decorating: create your own paleontology bookmark while learning about fossil books available at Lincoln City Libraries.
- Fossil Rub: Make rubbings of ancient life, fossil mammals and more to take home with you.
- Jurassic Dino Mysteries: Solve mysteries as a paleo detective exploring dinosaur trace and body fossils.
- Fossil ID: Bring your fossils to be identified by a museum expert.
- It's a Jungle Out There: See fossil mammals that lived in a jungle 50 million years ago.
- Oreodonts - It's not about cookies: come learn about this ancient creature that lived in Nebraska 35 million years ago.
- Archie Puzzle Scavenger Hunt: Keep your eyes peeled as you explore Morrill Hall. Collect the puzzle pieces of Archie and reassemble him to take home with you.
- Virtual Visit to Ashfall Fossil Beds: Take a visit to one of our other museums and explore the ancient watering hole with our virtual visit. Connecting at 10am and 11am.
- Fossil Dig: Be a paleontologist and uncover fossils in our dig pit within the Marx Discovery Center.